Unlocking the BRZ Sat Nav Unit – Eclipse AVN 827GA
Before we begin.
Disclaimer: This mod is not exactly legal. I provide this guide in the interest of sharing knowledge with fellow enthusiasts. Be safe and responsible.
Simply stated, we want to ground the handbrake signal wire from the head unit.
- A piece of wire about 30-40cm.
- Crimp tool and connectors.
- Wire stripper.
- Extended socket wrench to reach the bolts holding the unit in.
- Electrical tape to tidy things up.
- Small pick or flat head screw driver.
- A little patience, take your time and you’ll be ok.
- Remove the faceplate. I’ve found it easy carefully using a small pick from the bottom.
- Remove the Unit but loosening the 4 bolts.
- Locate the handbrake signal wire (should be light green). This will depend on whether or not the installer has followed the instructions. http://imgur.com/yiM2V36
- Expose the wires and cut the handbrake signal. Mine wasn’t actually the green wire, the installer had the handbrake wire and the reverse camera wire mixed around. You’ll know because your reverse camera signal wont work. If you are unfortunate enough to have this, simply rejoin you green wire and try again (this time with the reverse camera wire).
- Strip and join the handbrake signal with a spare piece of wire. I just used a crimp but you can do this however you want. http://imgur.com/InuCtO7
- Ground the extend handbrake signal wire to the unit chassis. http://imgur.com/i6tjYcW
Now put everything back together using electrical tape to tidy and secure things.
You should now have full functionality even on the go.
Remember to use this responsibly or better yet leave it too the passenger.